Monday 18 April 2011

My Rough Cut

This is a rough cut of my film. I did a preview of my film to a variety of people from different backgrounds and ages so that I could see how people found my film, if they understood it and how I could make improvements.



Targeted audience feedback:
I have exhibited my film to people aged 15 to 25 in order to see how my targeted audience react to my film. I hoped that by doing this, I could get a rough idea if my film would be something they were interesting in and how I could adapt my film so that my targeted audience found my film more appealing. I was told that my film contains a lot of content in the opening, however, it is not too clear of what the entire film is going to be about.


Feedback from my peers:
I exhibited my film opening to some of my peers as they would be creating their own films and therefore they would know what techniques should be apparent in a Thriller film and could help me by giving critical feedback. This would be different feedback from what I recieved from my audience, as the audience would be watching the film from a different perspective as my peers who would be watchng it from a film maker's perspective. I was told that the purpose of the character shown at the end it not that clear. This was intentional, as the question the character types before this character's appearance is "what is my purpose?" which gives the impression that the character shown in the following montage will provide the answer to this question. Also, I was told that the static used in the opening scene of my film's opening was too frequent and that I should remove the 2nd and 4th static effects so that my film flows better. I plan to adjust the number of static effects used in my opening so that the effect is not over used. I also plan to add a frame of the male prtagonist looking out the window and spoting the character "Raven", as this would show the audience that there is (or is going to be) some interaction between the two characters within the film's narrative. I was also told that tense music should be used nin the knife scene should be used, however, I feel that adding maybe a voiceover of someone laughing would be a lot more sinister and unexpected. I was also told that my film's opening was very slow and needs to be more action based. I plan to use sound to create the tension and set a dark mood, while the visual aspect will serve only as a flashback of the male protagonist. I was also told that certain sections in my film's opening needs to be cropped so that the framing is a lot better.

Feedback from adults:
I asked a variety of adults from various age ranges so that I could see how my film would be taken by people outside my targeted audience range. I asked adults with different professions (teachers, cleaners, unemployed, etc...) so that I could get a rough idea of how people from different social statuses react to my film. I was told that the fonts used in the film's title didn't work as this was not generic in films. I was initially going for a "Se7en" effect with the titles, however it did not work in my film as the background was a black screen as a pose to a man typing on the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment