Thursday 14 April 2011

Considering Sound

For my film, I am going to require background sound in order to create suspense and a dark atmosphere, as well as a soundtrack that will make my film seem more original and again add to the dark nature of the piece. Below is a list of the sounds I will need along with a couple of potential sounds I have already found.

Soundtrack
I am looking for a soundtrack that will really create an uncomfortable atmosphere. I want a soundtrack that will create a stalker-ish feel and will make the film seem as though “something is not as it seems.” I think that the soundtrack should either be base around the “rock” genre to create a rebellious mood, or from the “classical” genre, to create quite a tranquil peaceful feel which can juxtapose the events happening on the screen and the harsh sound effects. I was looking for something (if I went down the classical route) that will use a piano as the main instrument, as I feel that music played on the piano is usually the most emotive.


Bump in the Night – This creates the ominous spooky feel I was initially looking for. I think that this would go quite well in my piece as it matches the mood. The increase in sound levels at points in the soundtrack create suspense, which adds to the horror aspect of my film


Darkness is Coming – This, like the above creates the ominous spooky feel, and the childlike voices that run throughout create an eerie horror feel. T do however feel that this track is too slow and therefore I will not consider using it.

Enter the Maze – This soundtrack will give the film opening an energetic feel, yet still creates suspense. I will consider using this soundtrack for my film as I like the way it sounds and think that it may work well in my piece.


Ghostpocalypse (7 Master) – This soundtrack is very energetic and upbeat and will grip the audience, however, I feel that the soundtrack is not rightly suited for my film and therefore I will not use it for my film.


Rising – This soundtrack is quite emotive as a pose to being eerie or ominous, yet I think that this may fit well in my performance and therefore I will consider it for use in my film.


Scissors – This soundtrack is quite eerie and creates suspense at times, which could be effective for my film. I am not as keen on it as I am for some of the others, however I will consider using it during the opening of my film.

Below are a few of the tracks mentioned above. The ones I have chosen to consider using for my piece are green while the ones I have rejected have been highlighted red.


As stated earlier, I will be looking for background sound which enhances the suspenseful aspect of my film yet can blend subtly with the soundtrack that may be playing at the time. For this, I will be looking for low key notes or notes that gradually build in pitch or key to connote a build in suspense. As the sound effects will play simultaneously to the soundtrack, I will not use any background sounds that sound too different to the soundtrack, or any sounds that sound too similar to the soundtrack.


Aftermath – This background sound creates the idea that something shady has just happened and really creates an eerie feel. I will probably use this during the opening scene of my film to stress that fact that the main protagonist has done wrong.


Anxiety – I like the sound of this, however I think that together it does not work. I would however like to take this piece apart and place little sections of it into my film opening to build tension, as I think that this would be effective.


Deep noise – I like this because the build and fall in the sound creates suspense and, because you can’t indentify the sound, I think that this would create mystery and build suspense for the audience.


Inner Sanctum – I like this because there are constant builds and falls in the volume which creates suspense and gives false action codes to the audience. However, I will not use this as I think it would clash with the sound of the soundtrack in the film’s opening.


Night Break – I do like the sound of this as I think it creates an eerie feel throughout. I would definitely like to use the opening ten or so seconds of this as I think that placing that short section of sound in my film opening could be effective.


Right Behind You – I’m quite keen on the sound of this piece, however, I would like to break this piece of sound up into sections and use it randomly throughout my film opening to create an eerie feel. I think that the constant builds in sound really does make it feel as though something is behind you and this would be quite effective on the audience.


The Dread – I am not keen on this piece as I feel that it doesn’t sound as intriguing as some of the other sound effects. I do not plan to use this sound in my film opening.


Very Low Note – I think that this sound can function as a base sound for practically any other sound which I may use in addition to this. The constant drone creates an eerie feel which is what I was looking for.

NOTE: Unfortuneately, I coulod not find a source of these sound which I could upload to my blog, however, the source of these sounds was www.imcompetech.com.


I will be looking for Foley sound effects that can be used to show diegetic events going on in the film. These sounds are crucial to the film and therefore I will try to find a place to obtain them. The only required sound I will need is that of gunfire. I will need to obtain the sound of a single bullet being fired from a pistol, as this would help to show the audience what the character is doing in the film’s opening. Below are a few different gun sound effects. I plan to deliberate on which sounds the best and use on of these sounds.


44 Magnum


357 Magnum



Gun Reload

No comments:

Post a Comment