Friday 4 March 2011

Important!!!

I have recently been thinking about changing the gender of my protagonist “Jovelle” from male to female. I have thought that this would work just as well, as I can still have the character wearing the same type of clothing to make her seem tomboyish and make the relationship between her and Raven a lot more friendly. Also, I though that if I changed the love interest to a male, I can show the male’s aloofness and unawareness to Jovelle’s love. This could really be used to show why the character goes insane by the end. I also thought that I could keep the gender of the love interest female and portray Jovelle as a confused young female who believes she is in love with another female and as the story progresses, the love can grow and morph into obsession, ending in the same way. However, if I do take this path and portray Jovelle as homosexual, I will need to avoid offensive stereotypes and I would need to make sure that the overall story still makes sense.

I plan to complete a survey which will help me decide if I should keep the gender of my protagonist the same or whether I should change my protagonist’s gender. Also, I plan to audition male and female actors for the roles of Jovelle and the love interest, and from there, I will see if I prefer a male or female actor to portray that character.

No comments:

Post a Comment